Dog Bones - Are They Safe To Give My Dog?If you're like most dog owners, you wonder if it's safe to give bones to your dog. Don't we all wonder what to do when my dog ate chicken bones? And if it is safe to give your dog bones, which ones can you safely give them? Below is Brandy Arnold's delightful article on dog bone safety.
Bones have always been a dog’s all-time favorite treat. For years, we have fed our pooches raw or cooked bones, and have delighted in seeing them enjoy every bit of it. Nevertheless, questions have recently been thrown to experts whether all bones are safe for dogs to eat. If not, which ones need to be avoided?
Bones to Feed:
· Raw bones. Almost any raw bone is safe for dogs. Believe it or not, raw chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, or even oxtail bones can be fed in their natural raw form. Plus, besides being tasty, raw bones are excellent for maintaining dental health. Aside from that, a whole fish, including its head, can also be given to your pooch. These raw dog bones have been identified as soft bones; making it easy and safe to chew and eat.
· Recreational bones. Another kind of bone that can be given to your dog is the recreational type. This generally refers to a large joint bone that is offered not as a meal but to provide your pooch long hours of chewing satisfaction. Some of the most common recreational bones are the knuckle bones and the beef leg bones. It is critical, though, that owners get to remove these large bones once chewed down to small chunks as it can pose a serious choking hazard to pets. When cooked, these bones are labeled specifically for dogs.
Bones to Avoid:
· Cooked fish and poultry bones. Any bone that breaks into sharp shards is dangerous for your dog. This kind of cooked bone generally presents not only a choking hazard to dogs but a splintering risk as well. Never feed cooked fish, chicken, or beef bones as they can easily splinter, damaging his gums, teeth, and throat; causing pain and even potential injury. If your dog swallows the shards from these cooked bones, he also runs the risk of internal injury.
· Cooked or raw pork bone. While feeding your dog cooked pork bones can also put him in the same splintering danger as cooked chicken or beef bones, raw pork bones can be unsafe for your pooch, too. These raw bones are more likely to be contaminated with trichinosis as compared to other meats. Nonetheless, if you need to feed your dog with raw pork bone, just have it frozen for a couple of weeks to get rid of any flukes or young worms that might have been overrunning the meat.
So, as a standard rule of thumb – only give your dog raw bones, except pork, or bones sold and labeled specifically for dogs. Always make sure you give your dog a bone that is appropriate for his or her size to avoid any choking hazards. And, always monitor him while he’s gnawing away to avoid any potential dangers.